A warning to the younger people who read this blog…when you reach a certain age, some things in life become intolerable, which includes watching insufferable sports professionals.
Also, get ready for some old-man ‘back in my day’ comments. However, my life is all I have to compare happenings over the years – and trust me, there have been plenty of years to analyze. I promise, you’ll be there one day, too, if you’re not already.
To better understand my reason for using this blog to vent…I live alone. Therefore, you’re the ears that I don’t have at home. Don’t get me wrong, living alone can have its advantages, but spewing frustrations to oneself isn’t one of them. Having other ears to listen helps me get relief from the things that piss me off!
By the way, speaking of ears, I would often tell my salespeople; “We have two ears and one mouth so that you can listen twice as much as you speak!” (Credit to Epictetus, the Greek philosopher.) But, I digress….
Let the venting begin…
- NBA players who dance up the court after making a 3-pointer…pisses me off!
Back in my day…players got there asses back on ‘D’ after making a shot.
- NFL players choreographing routines in the end zone after a touchdown…pisses me off!
Back in my day…after scoring a TD, players humbly gave the ball to the referee and went to the sideline to be congratulated by teammates.
- MLB players who make an out, then stop on the field to watch the replay on the big screen…pisses me off!
Back in my day…if you wanted to watch your failure, you’d get your ass back to the dugout or locker-room and hope someone caught in on tape.
- NBA players whining and creating a scene after every foul called on them…pisses me off!
Back in my day…players kept their big-mouth shut and the team captain spoke to the referee like a professional.
- Officials taking forever watching replays….pisses me off!
Back in my day…there were no freaking, aggravating replays.
- Athletes and leagues involving politics on game-day…pisses me off!
Back in my day…we didn’t talk politics in the workplace, especially when we knew it would aggravate half of the people in the office.
- When all five NBA players on a team set up around the 3-point line waiting to ‘chuck it up’…pisses me off!
Back in my day…the big men set up on the low or high post, and we moved the ball in and out. By-the-way, we had no 3-point line!
- Officials calling ticky-tack fouls and penalties, ruing the flow of the game…pisses me off!
Back in my day…when all sports were physical, players expected it to be difficult playing professional sports.
- Managers and coaches instituting ‘load management’…pisses me off!
Back in my day…unless hurt, athletes wanted to play every game and coaches expected them to do so.
- Officiating in the NBA…pisses me off!
Back in my day…NBA officials pissed me off then, too!
I could go on and on, but I’m guessing you get the point.
Between whiny athletes and the ‘PC’ world in which we live, life as we knew it no longer exists. Gone are the days of bad-asses like Dick Butkus, Marvin Barnes, Gordie Howe, Bob Gibson, et al.
Who are these guys, some of you ask? Look ‘em up…they’re some of the toughest SOBs who ever played professional sports.
You know…back in my day!